Welcome to Four Birds Education.
A few years ago I was working in a primary school learning how to teach children to read and write. I quickly realised how difficult this was with one teacher and 20-30 children. Over time I started to realise it was not simply a challenging job, but an impossible job. It is cruel and unusual for the teacher and children. For myself, I have high professional standards and I felt the longer I spend in the public school environment the further down my standards had to drop. It was a miserable soul destroying experience watching one’s hopes for these children to have a bright future slowly die.
There has to be a better way.
Four Birds Education is my personal product to develop this better way. However, I am still learning and developing my ideas at this stage which are being documented on this website in the hopes of inspiring and helping other people who have reached similar conclusions as I have about public education.
The principal goals I have are:
1. Promote homeschooling and unschooling as viable and desirable replacements for the publicly funded education system.
2. Assist homeschooling/Unschooling parents by helping them to discover and access effective enrichment programs for their children.
3. Assist parents, teachers and adults in getting access to the best quality advice, scientific knowledge and scientifically evidenced educational practices for children, adults and relationships.
4. Provide resources to help teachers and parents with their education work by addressing the root causes of problems such as boredom, bullying and poor self-esteem.
5. Provide adults, teachers and parents with current and useful information about mental health and how to prevent mental illness in children.
6. Promote healthy behaviours, relationships, families and communities.